Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2016

So Many Projects!!!

I thought I'd share a few of the projects that are getting the lion's share of my attention lately.  I've got so many quilting irons in the fire right now!  But I think I really work best when I have a lot going on.  It keeps me energized and inspired to have lots of different projects to choose from on any given day.  There's always something in the works that trips my trigger and makes me want to play in the studio!!!


Blue Collection is one of my Dinosaur UFO's - it's been in process since 2008!!!  It's my focus project for this year, and I've been steadily plugging along on it.  I'm happy to say that I've finally added the 3D tree in the center!  This tree has been a stumbling block for me from the beginning.  I've been dreading it!  But it got to the point that I couldn't add other elements until the tree was stitched down, so I finally bit the bullet and went for it!


The tree is made from three tapered bias strips of brown fabrics that are braided together and then loosely arranged on the quilt center, with lots of little branches and leaves sprouting out from it.  (Rocky felt that this particular strip should be his - we had a little bit of a disagreement about it, but happily I finally won ☺)


I had to piece together the blocks in the center section of the quilt with their blue-and-white checkerboard sashing before I could begin to make the tree.


When I appliqued that bottom pot, I left a section open so that I could slip the tree limbs down inside ....


I'm doing hand-stitched applique on this quilt, and it's pretty difficult work handling this large center section to stitch down the tree and all those little remaining leaves, but there was just no way around it.  Of course, this little guy with his curious little nose in everything I'm doing doesn't help LOL!!!  This picture was taken just seconds before he snatched the whole piece off my lap and tried to run for it!


There are quite a few wonderful little details stitched into this quilt ....


And lots of stitching remaining to be done!  But I can't tell you how excited I am to have gotten this far on my Blue Collection project!  I will try my best to post about my progress more often :*)

I usually try to have at least one project all set up and ready to stitch at the machine, so that when I have a spare few minutes I can use it stitching.  This is a paper-pieced project in progress called Diamonds Are Forever from a class I took at guild several years ago.


Lots and lots of scrap strips are going into this fun quilt, and it is amazing how quickly these blocks add up!


Happily, I also have an almost finish to show you!!!  Notice Rocky photo-bombing in the top right?  Believe me, he's not going to miss a quilt-on-the-floor opportunity!!!


Calypso is a kit My Guy bought for me quite a few years ago at a local quilt shop that is no longer in business.  I made the quilt top and then put it on my flimsy shelf to be quilted - and it has remained there for way too long.  I decided to put it on my Guild UFO Challenge list, and it's number came up for this month.  My friend Joanne let me use her long-arm machine so I could git 'er done ...


This will be a feel-good finish for me - I love whittling down that flimsy shelf!

Tomorrow my plan is to quilt and bind my little 14" Fractured Seahorse.  The fabric on the bottom is my backing fabric, and I'm thinking to use a scrappy hot pink binding.  This one is going to go in my stand-up frame in the living room for the summer!


After all the sewing I've been doing on my Janome 6600P, it was finally time to send it off to the spa for a good cleaning and to check the timing, etc.  While it was gone, Rocky found a new favorite place to sit and watch me as I putter around the studio ....


He's such a fun little guy, and I love how he keeps us smiling and laughing!

I'll be linking up with lots of fun parties this week:


Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=

34 comments:

  1. Your Blue Collection is beautiful, Teresa. There is so much detail. I wish I could see it in person! I also love Calypso. The colors are so restful and the side-setting triangles and borders are perfect. Funny Rocky!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you do have beautiful projects happening, your Blue Collection is awesome!
    Pleased to see Rocky is helping with the quilting side of things!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting closer to the finish with th Blue Collection - just a beautiful piece. Rocky has fit right into a quilter's home for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been so busy, haven't you? Rocky is fitting right in ... I'm sure he's a huge help in your sewing room - ha !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that Rocky has adopted you into his forever home, and you thought it was the other way around, lol! Blue Collection is going to be well worth waiting for the finish, it's absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Rocky's antics as much as your beautiful creations! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Blue Collection quilt is stunning! What a work of art that will be when you finish it. And I just love your Seahorse. I'd love to purchase the pattern for the large seahorse, but do not enjoy paper piecing. It's a great pattern, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving that blue applique quilt. The tree looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Teresa I love all of your gorgeous projects! I too have a lot of projects going on at the same time and years old UFO's too! Rocky is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG too funny to see Rocky posing as a sewing machine! LOL
    Love to see your progress on the Blue Collection. It really is a labour of love with so many challenging elements. That tree looks really difficult...way to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to see the Blue Collection come out to play for awhile! Give Rocky some ear scratches from me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The braided tree trunk is beautiful, looks so natural. What a special quilt! Rocky is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many beautiful quilts in progress! LOVE the pictures of Rocky! Never a dull moment in your home. Thank you for sharing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of fun stuff going on in this post. The tree is impressive. Usually when I'm dreading something like that, it turns out to be not as big an obstacle as I thought it would be. Your kitty is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each of your projects is like eye candy. I LOVE that blue piece - oh my!! There is so much work in it. Your diamonds and seahorse are fabulous too. The new finish is such a calming and pretty quilt. Glad that you finished it.

    Rocky is getting so big, but looks like he is a great companion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teresa, I have to comment on Rocky first because he is adorable and such a funny kitty! I love how he is interested in everything you do and has to be right there in the thick of things!
    Your Blue Collection quilt is amazing! How you did each pot is so wonderful - the fabrics you chose were perfect for fussy cutting and creating the designs. That must have been a lot of fun!
    How kind of your friend to let you use her longarm and get Calypso quilted. You did a great job!
    Diamonds are Forever is going to be gorgeous!
    You know how much I love your seahorse! The idea of a scrappy pink binding sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything you show is just beautiful! Congratulations on all the progress you've been making. I like a lot of variety too and have a funny "helper" of the same ilk in my sewing room :) Enjoying one's time in the sewing room is true happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a quilt is not complete unless you have a cat giving you directions! when I had 2 cats & would go into my sewing room they'd scamper in & Up on the sewing maching; I had a peice of fireside for each to lay on & that helped me out to sew in privacy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing all your beautiful projects with Oh Scrap. Lots of great eye candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful eye candy in your sewing room and such a cute helper. Love all your projects. Thanks for sharing Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful projects. Love your Fractured Seahorse and Blue Collection. Both are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so excited to see the progress on your Blue Collection!! The fabric on those trees is perfect--you have such a good eye for such things! The details on this project are wonderful!
    What a vibrant string pieced project. Wow! Love the lush colors.
    Nice job on the quilting. That must feel good to be so close to a finish on that.
    You know how much I love your seahorse.
    Oh, that last photo of Rocky cracks me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at you go!! Your work is always so beautiful -- and such diversity among your projects, too! I love that! And is he sitting in the spot your sewing machine goes? Cats! He's such a cutie pie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. There are so many good things in this post! First, Rocky!! What a hoot - he had me smiling as I read this. :) Calypso is gorgeous - congrats on your almost finish. That little seahorse is so fun and I think a hot pink binding would look fabulous. My most favorite project though is your blues quilt. It is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing your projects n MCM; I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on Blue Collection!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your Blue Collection. The quilt is made by the fabric selection of the vases-on this you have excelled. This quilt is lovely-I don't see how you can put it down to work on something else.

    I made this quilt also a few years ago. You can see my version on my blog
    https://pamspaintbox.blogspot.com
    I feel you made the most wonderful selection of fabrics. However I like the small changes in layout that I have done with my version.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've got some great projects! That tree is really neat looking. I love the colors you are using on the diamonds quilt. And that seahorse is just too cute! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rocky is definitely a cute character. I'm not sure which project I like the most... but I think it is your string project Diamonds are Forever. I really like how they look sewn together. On the other hand I certainly admire your dedication to the blues project. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love all your projects and the kitty, too. He looks so like our Mocha. There's a photo of her on my blog finally.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ah, Rocky looks like such a great addition to your life! Great projects all around and I love those bright colors that you're working with.
    Have a great week,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this entire post! Rocky and Bella clearly get the same memos about photo-bombing and claiming strips of fabric (I've given her some of her very own, but she still goes after mine anytime she can) and sitting in odd places! Your hand appliqué work is exquisite!!! Wow. Love the strings quilt (I've GOTTA make another) and the quilting you did on Calypso is just great. Multi-talented quilter you are! I like to have lots going on too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I too enjoy having a variety of projects going on at the same time...motivates me too. Wow! You blue collection is beautiful...but did chuckle at your dinosaur UFO comment!! (Glad I'm not along!) So glad to catch up again. :)V

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great projects! I really like the quilting design you have on the quilt that is still on the longarm in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  33. As usual, your projects are always beautiful and I love the colors you choose. Your Calypso quilt is stunning. Was wondering what quilting design you used on it. I didn't recognize it. I really love your beautiful tuffet pincushion too. I think one can never have too many pincushions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...