Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Wondering What Bertie's Been Up To?

Before the stitching and embellishments .....

I'm not a Fall person.  Many of my closest friends and loved ones revel in Fall - they adore it!!!  And I don't really have anything against the season itself - it's nice to have a little crispness in the air instead of all that stifling heat.  It's just that to me Fall means the imminent onset of Winter, and I am definitely not a winter person!  Of course, one thing I do like about Fall is the COLOR!!!


Picture taken on my trip to the Blue Ridge Mtns a couple weeks ago

It's as if God knows that the only way to keep some of us from dreading Fall is to embellish our world with an irresistible abundance of COLOR!!!  With happy abandon, He tosses out bright splashes of paint in those deep rich oranges, reds, yellows and golds  - everywhere you look!  Our sun-blinded eyes just soak it all up like a parched sponge.  And don't get me wrong - I do love that!



Bertie certainly has certainly gotten into the Fall mode!  The first picture above is my October Bertie's Year BOM block, currently in progress - such a FUN block design!  And here's my November block ..... all those wonderful leaf colors!  These are not the fabrics that came in my kit however ... serious rant coming up shortly!


I am so far behind on this BOM!  I was doing great until about July - getting each one done in time to hang and enjoy it each month.  But now I have FIVE of them in the basket that need to be done!  So I thought it would be a good idea to take them to retreat with me next week and just crank them out.  Here are July though November, all fused down and ready for hand-stitch embroidery embellishments :)



However, instead of just taking an hour or so to pop out the laser cuts and fuse them to the background, I had to spend HOURS in preparation for several of these blocks.  Why?  Because once again, I had to hunt down and substitute stash fabrics for the ones that were supplied with the kit..... and I hate to whine, but I'm not happy about that :(  And of course, using my stash fabrics means that I have to do all the prep work too, like drawing, cutting, etc....  I thought that was why I paid more for the laser cut kit, right?



Bonnie Sullivan has done such a wonderful job designing this series!  I love each and every block!!!  Her original blocks in the pictures on the pattern are always so colorful and have such fun bright fabrics - fabrics that are not included in my kit!  (Please Note - Bonnie Sullivan does not supply the kit)  What I get in my kit is positively DULL!!!  See the difference here with the October kit?  The top fabric is a dull brown they supplied for the pumpkin - yuk!!!  The bottom wool is from my stash.....


Candy corn substitutions.....


Now which one of these says "candy corn" to you?  Definitely not that ugly brown & gold on the right!!!!  Seriously???  They gave us THAT for candy corn????  And do these look anything like the colors in the sample picture above?  No, of course not!  Bonnie's candy corn looks like candy corn!!!!  Of course the bright wools on the left are what I substituted from my stash.

This dull, boring green at the top of this picture is the same green we've gotten in every single kit all year long.. ugh!!!  I decided to use the more interesting green wool at the bottom for October and November - the COLOmonths .....



And then here's the fabrics they sent for November - next to Bonnie's sample picture - sheesh!!!!


See how bright and colorful her fabrics are in the sample picture?  Are those the fabrics we got in the kit?  NO!!!  Not even close!!!!  Look at these dull browns .... not a bright orange or gold in the lot of them!   Notice the fun polka dot in the corners of Bonnie's block - of course that fabric is not included in my kit either.

And that leaf - seriously????  It is the definition of boring!!!  And nothing like the bright, interesting orange in the sample..... and certainly nothing like the true beauty of Fall leaves!!!!



So enough of the rant!  Substitutions were made - the blocks will be fine - and I'll get over it.... but don't look for me to buy another kit anytime soon.

On a much happier note, while I was playing in my stash last night, I came across this fun Laurel Burch Cats panel print ....


..... and inspiration struck..... What if I????


Yep, I totally changed my mind about how I'm going to make my Sew Sweet Simplicity BOM blocks!  Instead of the applique or embroidery in the center, I'm going to put these cat blocks in the center and construct Jacquelynne's sampler blocks around them using lots of those fun, bright colors!  Stay tuned.....and don't forget, there's still time to get in on this fun BOM HERE - my GIVEAWAY is HERE!!!!!



I'm also playing with lots of gorgeous fabrics for more Patchwork of the Crosses blocks.  Look for a lot more of these to come!



This set of design mirrors really helps me get an idea of how to fussy cut to get great fun designs....






So, what are you relaxing and playing with today?

I'm linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching

Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=




30 comments:

  1. I am beginning to sew for Christmas...lots to do! It is disappointing that your kits had such dull colors, but now your blocks will be completely original with fabric from your stash! Enjoy your quilting retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on fall! Spring is my thing as it's an end of our winter gloom and a prelude to summer which is unsually very nice nere. Those kit colors are so not you; from what I've seen you prefer the vibrant colors not dull ones. Oh well, live and learn, eh? Your Bertie quilt with it's unique fabrics is going to be a stunner! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I love Fall - the cooler temps, color, scents, fruit of the season. Those kits are expensive - I would certainly complain to those kitting. I have that LB cat fabric! Not that I want to use it for the QAL, but I should get it out and play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you know I love autumn!! This is my season!! LOL!! I totally get your frustration with the kit. I'd be a bit on edge over it, too!! It's why I just buy my wool and make my own kits! Though it's really nice to have the pieces pre-cut (especially if they're laser cut). Regardless, your Bertie is just darling and you've done a marvelous job with her!! And I ordered my mirror . . . so just waiting to play!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Teresa, I am in total agreement with your sentiments about fall, which you so eloquently explained. Love all your projects. I agree with you about the boring fabrics in your kit, too. I almost purchased it. I'm so glad I didn't because I don't have a supply of fabrics that I could use in substitution. Cute BOM, though!! I have some LB fabric that I just can't cut into. I've been carrying it around with me for years. Every once in awhile I take it out and pet it. Today I'm sewing bindings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors of fall. I agree about your fabrics in your Bertie kits which would be a wee bit discouraging to me too. Love what you get finished though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprised to hear your Bertie kit was so boringly stocked. Your bright color choices ARE much better, although I understand your aggravation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to use the Laurel Burch pieces in the blocks. And that's a bummer that the fabrics were so dull in the kit. Wool kits are so expensive, too. I was wondering, is it different to do fusible with wool than with cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wool applique and Fall go together like salt & pepper. The brightly colored cats will look very nice in the center - good idea. I have yet to play with a design mirror. A perfect tool for fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be extremely disappointed too with those fabric choices. How frustrating for you! Your changes look wonderful but I'm sorry that you have to do much extra work. The new project looks very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fall is my favorite time too....the colors, the cool nights, the anticipation of a winter by the fire. I frequently buy kits but I've never bought one that was so different from the pictured pattern. I think that must be the shop you bought it from....I probably wouldn't buy from them again but I wouldn't give up on kits. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the changes you are making to that BOM kit!! You do have an eye for color, young lady!! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that bottom piece you are auditioning for an upcoming POTC!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the reasons I never buy kits! We all have different taste when it comes to color. I hope some slow stitching on these will bring a smile to your face. So sorry you had to spend all that time, at least now you will be happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ya sister! You have perked up these blocks beautifully... and Bertie thanks you! Hope you enjoy the embellishing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I so feel your pain!!! That's why I no longer do BOMs or kits! Bought a really cool kit from a shop hop in Houston, Texas (I live in Washington state) that had 12 fabulous, interesting, new-to-me star blocks, only to find that I had 7 of the 12 blocks and the other 5 were all the same star because they didn't have any more of those patterns. Did they tell me that on the envelope??? Nope and when I called to talk to someone about it, they said that's why it was on sale (still over $100). Like I'm going to open and inspect a quilt kit in the quilt shop? Right, well, lesson learned and P****** P*** will no longer get any of my business. You are just fortunate that you have a stash of wool to pull from cuz what they sent you is really ick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your photos of the autumn/fall leaves...gorgeous colours! I also have some Laurel Burch fabrics in my stash, but I haven't cut into them yet :-/\
    Thank you so much for sharing the info about that design mirror set...amazing and such a good idea! }

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bertie is beautiful. I don't like winter either. Oh well, just 5 months til spring! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to say that you were right to substitute some wool from your stash ... muted colors have their places, but definitely not in candy corn or autumn leaves.

    I LOVE your idea for the upcoming SAL! I am going to have to rethink that because the proposed centers of the blocks weren't "doing it" for me ... if I can find some fabulous focus blocks to use instead ...

    I like autumn, but only when I conveniently forget that it's a precursor for winter. It's about this time of year that I begin to rethink our decision to stay in Illinois when we retired. Ah, the things we do for love. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your fabric choices for your new Patchwork of the Cross blocks. I need to find a mirror like yours. Fall is not my favorite season, either, because it means cold weather is coming! And you are right about the Bert fabrics. I almost joined that BOM, but am glad I didn't now. You blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your choices of fabric for the Bertie blocks. I have been thinking about getting the series, but now that I've seen what they actually send, I'll have to think about it. I may just look for the pattern and do the fabric selecting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol....you crack me up!! Love the idea with the Laurel Burch fabric. Those will be amazing with your bright fabrics and black background. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, I don't know if we can be friends anymore if you don't love Fall. *LOL*
    Somebody made some poor fabric choices when they put together those kits. If the cover photo shows bright, happy colors, that is what the kit should contain. Your choices are much more true to the original--and I can see how frustrating that would be.
    I think your decision to use those fun cat panels is a good one. Won't those be striking with all of those pretty colors pieced around them?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been a little disappointed in the fabrics for Bertie too. I was really hoping for some of that orange polka dot fabric. I didn't take the time to change any of my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry the kits haven't lived up to your expectations. You are definitely doing the right thing by making substitutions. It is a shame to spend money for a kit and then have to supply your own fabric. I love the design mirrors. What a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well dog gone Teresa! I would be very upset too! We "showbiz" peeps like vibrant color in our world! I would definitely talk to whomever created the color scheme for these kits? It is so disappointing when you really love something only to find it isn't really what you had hoped for! Your crosses........O!M!G!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never ordered a kit before -- it's good to know that what you see (in the project photo) isn't always what you get. I agree with you that your substitutions are MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bertie has been busy....:) I see you signed up for Sew Sweet. I did too, but I don't need to be starting anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oooooo...looking forward to seeing your BOMs w/that those lovely, bright, bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your choice of fabrics is wonderful and so much more "fallish". It looks like you have your plans laid out for your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Teresa, I feel you pain with the Bertie kit. I would be fuming with the cost of the kits and I still had to do all the work. I do not have any wool stash, so I might have sent them back! I'm definitely with you regarding the seasonal analysis you gave. I love the colors of the trees and leaves during Autumn, but give me Spring and Summer anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...