Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Design Wall Monday - August 6, 2012

We've been very busy here at our house this past week!  My poor husband blew out his knee on Tuesday and had to undergo arthroscopic surgery on Friday.  Poor dear is hobbling around on crutches and getting very bored with no activity!  And this weekend my daughter and granddaughter drove in to visit, and the three of us girls went school shopping to take advantage of the tax-free weekend.  I'd forgotten how much fun it is to shop for back-to-school things :*)

On my Design Wall .... I thought I would be done with Raney Days & Mondays last night, but it just didn't turn out that way.  I realized that my Twister Tool class is THIS Tuesday afternoon after Guild and that I had not done any of the fabric planning or cutting, much less sewing the pieces together as assigned - yikes!!!  So I had to put aside Raney Days for a few hours while I took care of the preparation for the Twister class project.  Today, I'll get Raney Days to the point that it is all ready for quilting, and sew up the squares for the Guild project.

The Twister Tool project is a Christmas-in-August type of project, which works really great for me, because I tend to put Christmasy things off too long and end up with no quilty projects done in time for the season.  *sigh*  However, this year I'll have a Twister Tree to display!

So far this is what I managed to get done yesterday.  All the 5" square pieces are cut and arranged in their places.  I should be able to get all the squares sewn together today and be ready for class Tuesday.  Whew!!! I know it doesn't look like much now, but it will look much better the next time you see it.......(wait for it...)

I used a lot of sparkly fabrics in this, to give it extra pizzazz!  These are for the ornaments and the star at the top of the tree.....

Then I went really scrappy with a lot of gold sparkly neutrals for the background - I just LOVE scrappy, don't you?!?  And these sparkly fabrics are some of my favorites in my stash.  I realized as I was cutting that I'm running low on them and need to restock :*)



 


The fun thing about this project is that if you are very careful in cutting the shapes, you can then use the tiny Twister tool and get a minature tree out of the remaining pieces!  Two trees instead of just the one - that just makes my thrifty soul sing!!!  And just wait until you see that cute little teeny-tiny Christmas Tree!! :*D

I have finally begun work on a new Calendar Quilt.....
Kim Schaeffer's August quilt from her book, Calendar Quilts
I don't know if I can finish it up in time to hang this month, but it is one of my favorite quilts in the collection, so I've decided to give it a priority and see what happens.  I'm really trying to practice not rushing through a project just to get it done, and making sure that I take time to enjoy the journey.

So far, all I've managed to get done is trace off the pattern onto the fusible, so I definitely have my work cut out for me - pun entirely intended!  :*)


Both the Twister Tree and the August Calendar Quilt are part of the 2012 NewFO Challenge for August going on over at Cat Patches.  Barbara would love a visit from you, so click on the cute button on my sidebar to check out the fun over at Three Cats Ranch! =^..^=

What's on your design wall today?  Go to Patchwork Times to see some of the amazing quilts others are creating :*)

Also linking up with....
Linky Party at Quilting by the River
Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story

Try It On Tuesday at Jo's Country Junction
TNT Thursday at Happy Quilting

Hugs & Blessings,
Teresa
=^..^=

14 comments:

  1. Teresa, you are busy!!! So sorry about hubby - praying for quick recovery and no boredom!!! Looking forward to "two" trees!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choice of fabrics. I can't wait to see your two trees. I need to get going on a Christmas tree myself. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! I love these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen a tree made with the twister technique. Can't wait--especially for the teeny tiny one!!
    I love the August calendar quilt. I live next door to a bee garden, so I love bee related things.
    Can I confess that I don't like sparkly fabrics--I actually avoid them? When I started finding that it faded away with use and time, and also found sparkly stuff anywhere I was touching the fabric I started steering clear of them. I think they look very pretty, so I will admire yours, but I haven't enjoyed working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant' wait to see your twister tree. I too love the sparkly fabrics for the holidays. I'd really be interested to see how you do the two trees for one process.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, my you are such a busy quilter, as usual!! Can't wait to see your little twister trees. I bet the tiny one would make a great ornament for your tree -- or a gift for someone else's tree!!

    Sorry about your DH knee. Hope he's up and running soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited about your twister tree...if it turns out good and it's not too tortuous, I'll try one too...you let me know! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bees on the August calendar quilt. :) And your tree is going to be an awesome Twister project!! The sparkly fabrics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracious ... I do love sparkly, glittery fabrics! What a nice array of them you've gathered!! Very fun stuff, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun projects, the Lil Twister is always great to work with! Hope your husband is feeling better....maybe you'll have get him to do some quilting :) Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Christmas projects. They just make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so impressed that you're getting organised for Christmas already! I love all your projects but most especially your calendar quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teresa, love your calendar quilt and your sparkly fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sound busy! I'm working on the calendar quilts too- I Love that book! I have 2 finished so far. Come to my blog and see- studio57artz.blogspot.com. I want to make the Oct. one next :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...