Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Orange’s Last Hurrah!

I kind of hate to see Orange leave for this year.  It’s been such a fun color to play with :*)  

I am combining my posts for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Kathy’s Slow Stitching on Sunday.  It’s Ryder Cup time in the golf world, so hubby and I will be cozied up to the TV most of the weekend, watching to see how the US fares.  Which is of course a perfect time for me to do some really relaxing slow stitching :*)


This is the block I am working on today.  It is part of The Blue Collection, an old project that I've been stitching on for years now, in an off-and-on fashion.  The below picture is the designer's quilt... isn't it just so gorgeous???  And with all those blues, it was way too tempting for me to not attempt it!  =^..^=

The Blue Collection, designed by Maggie Walker
Photo from maggiewalkerdesign.com
Sometimes I put it down for months, because I can only handle so much needleturn applique without a good long break.  But I always pick it back up because I love it so and would love to have it hanging on my wall! =^..^=  And since I finished up my Orange mini-pineapples earlier in the month, I thought this old UFO would be perfect to work on today.


Almost all of these fabrics are from my scraps.  I bought most of the patterns as BOM sets from a friend who sold some of her stash when she moved north.  Then I contacted the designer, Maggie Walker, to purchase the remaining 5 patterns.  She was so warm and helpful, delighted that I loved her pattern of course!  Most of the fabrics in the kits provided by the quilt shop to my friend were not fabrics that I would have chosen, so I have mostly replaced them with my own, and many of my replacements have come from my scraps.

I thought this might be a good day to show off my Sewing Basket too :*)


I made this basket last year in a class taught by Donna Christian, a local award-winning basket & quilting teacher.  Thanks Donna!!!  Isn’t it amazing!?!  I never thought I could make such a thing, but I learned that basket making is not really that hard when you have a great teacher =^..^=  As you can see, it has everything you need for hand stitching!


And I love the different compartments which keep me from having to dig out the tool I need from a jumbled up mess in the middle of the basket!


I put my silk threads for applique on the bobbins - all the thread ends held neatly on the bobbin by little pony tail holders! - and then add other spools as needed for colors since I don’t have a very wide variety of colors in the silks.  The bobbins & spools are held in place on dowels that run through the handle.  And on each side of the dowels, are these cute little decorative charms!

My initials on the left.....

And on the right a lovely red heart & a musical clef symbol for Music City Quilt Guild
So it appears I am all set for some lovely stitching this weekend!  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and fun projects to play with :*D

As for Stash Enhancement, there was no fabric in and none out this week!  Be sure to go to Patchwork Times to see what lovely fabrics others added to their stashes, and maybe I'll do better next week ;*)

Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=

30 comments:

  1. Wowzer, Teresa, that is a gorgeous quilt! I don't do the applique thing, so this is something I will never make, but I can admire it for sure!!
    And what a clever basket--you did yourself proud! Very nice. What a talented lady you are, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two exceptional projects, they are lovely and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen!
    Nice sewing basket.
    Lovely orange fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you showing this way back and how you contacted the designer. This is gorgeous and all the best in enjoying your stitches this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the oranges in your blue quilt. Just perfect for slow stitch Sunday and Scraphappy Saturday. Your basket is absolutely perfect for handwork. The bobbin and thread holding spools are SO handy. Glad you are finding some stitching time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that basket and all the compartments. Looks like you are all set to stitch away. Those oranges in the basket are wonderful and such a pretty quilt. I can see why it keeps calling to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa you do beautiful work in quilting and in basket weaving.. thx for showing your working sewing basket...LOL you have just become the teachers favorite student!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made a basket before, but never that beautiful or that useful... great job... and I love the bowl for your quilt, very vibrant colors... isn't it wondeful to make all the colors your own... I have seen that quilt made, by my longarm quilter... it is beautiful, and I'm sure you will treasure your for many years to come...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Teresa, that's one beautiful quilt you are working on. Inch by Inch, Stitch by Stitch, gonna make this little quilt grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful applique project - the colors just jumped out at me! And I'm so envious of your sewing basket! I've always wanted to try basket making; yours is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your block. That is going to be a stunning quilt when you finish it. Enjoy the process, no matter how long it takes. Cute basket! I wish I'd had some of that thread when I was sewing (not at home) earlier today. I had the choice of cream or blue. Had to stitch in the ditch with the cream. I just couldn't wait till I got home and grabbed a better color. Impatient, that's me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow great quilt you are working on. I love the basket of oranges. Your quilting basket is amazing. Lucky you to get in that class. I have never tried basket making.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silly girl ... orange is not over ... it's pumpkin season! Orange is in until at *least* December 1! Your sewing basket is *amazing*!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh....that is just awesome...and I love how organized you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Très joli. Une prière pour moi, qui passe une maldie.
    Bon dimanche
    Gisèle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your applique is really beautiful and what a great bowl with the oranges! The basket you made is neat too and perfect to hold all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful project and I certainly understand why you keep going back to it - accepting our reality of only working in spurts will be how you complete it. Your basket is perfect for your hand sewing. Have a great weekend from Judy C in NC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful applique Teresa. I love the blue bowl and oranges, those colors really pop being complimentary colors.

    That basket is awesome too. I made one basket and it isn't too difficult. I love that handle/compartments. Did you attach the handle to the basket?

    Hubby also is watching the Ryder Cup. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love the blue quilt. My favourite colour! And your basket is gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it. A perfect basket for hand sewing supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, intricate quilt... love the colors. Your basket is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great block.....and that quilt! Oh My! It's gorgeous.
    What a great basket!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Teresa, I'm back up and running again. Missed "seeing and talking" to you.
    Your block is beautiful and that quilt is stunning. I have a friend that has done it and has it hanging in her dining room. It really is eye catching when you come into her home.
    Yours will be just as wonderful.

    And that hand sewing basket!! WOW, I've never seen one anything like it before. I guess I've led a sheltered life. Will have to look into finding one some place. I don't have time to make my own. Lucky you to have found the original teacher. It is something I need to make me do more of my handwork projects -- to try and slow down my busy life. You are such a good influence on me. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quilt! Have fun with your hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely block...I remember seeing that pattern a few years ago. I really enjoyed seeing your basket...what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am blown away by your applique quilt! Wow...what a lot of applique you are tackling!
    And I just love your sewing basket...what an amazing treasure...and to think you made it must be a thrill every time you look at it!
    Thanks for sharing with the Slow Sunday Stitching link up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always loved the Maggie Walker quilt you are working on. Beautiful work you are doing. Thank you for sharing.
    Love love the sewing basket. Wow, what a great job making the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous quilt! And I'm all admiration for that great basket you made. When I first saw it thought it was a Longenberger(?).

    Thanks for introducing me to a fabulous applique designer, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow - that is a gorgeous quilt. No wonder you keep getting called back to work on yours. It will be just as stunning as the original!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there, I am about to start my dream quilt "the Blue Collection" and am so excited to find you blogging on the subject. I hope you continue working on it and put pics up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...