Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Word for 2013 - LISTEN UP!



Last year, I chose ENJOY! as my Word for inspiration and personal direction throughout the year.  You can read my post about that HERE if you'd like.   I wasn't sure if I would even remember that determination to ENJOY a few months later - it seemed a lot like a resolution, easily spoken and then forgotten.  But I was surprised to find that I did indeed remember, and it helped direct my thoughts and actions quite often throughout the year.  I thought back on that Word frequently, and I made some different choices because of it - good choices, positive choices.  So much of my quilting and blogging journey last year was an exercise in pure ENJOYment!  I had so much fun playing in my sewing room, and I made some really wonderful new friends through blogging.  Oh yes, I did ENJOY much about 2012.

Now in 2013, I want to take that process a little deeper - 
I want to LISTEN!



I don't believe we can truly enjoy anything unless we stop and LISTEN beforehand.  Think about that!  In order to create beautiful art - quilts or any other form of art - we must LISTEN to what is in our hearts and create what we hear there.... right?


And can a friendship - or any relationship - really be enjoyed to its fullest if we don't LISTEN?  
I don't believe so.


I believe LISTENing is key to a happier, more joyful life - in every area of our lives.  And I must confess that I have not been as careful a LISTENer as I would like to be.  Sometimes, we can focus too much on the things we enjoy, rather than on the relationships that are critical to our joy in life.  I believe this is where I fell short of my goal last year.  I failed to ENJOY my important relationships as much as I really wanted to, and certainly not as much as they deserved.


I don't feel as though I have done my best this past year as a LISTENer.  I am sad to think that there have been times when I've been too busy enjoying, and I've neglected to stop and truly LISTEN.....
  
to my Lord ... to my family ... to my friends ... to my world....


This year I intend to spend much more time LISTENing and less time talking or doing....


And that must start with refocusing on quality time with my Lord.  

Blogging has taken so much of my time this past year that my time in prayer and LISTENing to my Lord has suffered.  I plan to get back to that place of hearing what God has to say to me before I step out into my days in 2013.  I read the following the other day in one of my devotionals....

"Those who refuse to listen to God prefer to go their own way - to trust in themselves.  
To be their own God."

There is no way I can live my life trusting in myself!  I am not that strong, or that wise, or that able....


So I may be doing less blogging this year - we will see how it goes ....

But for sure, I will be LISTENing to hear the wisdom God has for me throughout this year....  

And I will be LISTENing to hear the unspoken words in the hearts of my loved ones this year....

And I will be LISTENing to hear the needs of the world around me....

And I will be LISTENing to my own heart for the creativity that is longing to be heard and brought forth....

And I will be LISTENing to you!



Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=

14 comments:

  1. I must say that I needed to hear what you had to say. I am guilty of being "too busy" to take the time to LISTEN to God ... and after reading your quote about those who refuse to listen to God, I'm even more determined to take the time to LISTEN to Him! Thanks for the encouragement you provided today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful focus for 2013!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a timely post for me. I want to remember two words this year. Enjoy and Listen.
    Thank you, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There is wisdom in your words and something that God has been bringing to my mind is 'listen" as well. May we all be known as women who listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's that old saying? Something about having 2 ears, but one mouth. We should listen twice as much as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thought out, Teresa. We can all use a little more balance in the use of out time, and I believe God has been telling me much the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me think of the Psalm: Be still and know that I am God...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said...we are all far too busy in our hectic lives that we fail to listen to our loved ones until its too late. Sometimes, when we are ready to listen to them, they are no longer able to speak to us!

    Usha
    usharaneem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah sweet, sweet Teresa! Spoke directly to my heart! I believe one of our greatest times of fellowship with the Lord is that time of listening! I usually don't have background noise just because of that! That relationship is so dependent upon us hearing His Voice and being obedient!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly expressed...that listening thing is so important and so hard to do, sometimes. I'm bookmarking this post so I can come back to it and be re-inspired when my world gets a little noisy and it's hard to hear the things I really need to be listening to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post , we all need to take the time to listen more , there is a lot to hear in the silence too . Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post! May God bless you with this focus for 2013. I hope that you may grow in the Lord and focus on hearing his voice day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post made me pause and except that these same words from God have been heard over and over in my mind for the past few months. And I don't believe it is a coincidence - we are being reminded of why we are here on this earth - listen, love and serve.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...