Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Design Wall Monday - Week #6

It’s been a very busy, productive week!  Our lovely weather quickly gave way to rain for the past two days, so I happily stayed indoors and played in my sewing room!

I completed the top for a quilt our Guild is making for the secretary at the church where we meet.  She lost her husband last year, so we wanted to do something to let her know how much we appreciate her.  The quilt is a surprise, but she does not read my blog, so hopefully I’m safe in showing it!  **Ssshhhh!**  I forgot to take a picture of the completed top before I sent it off, but here are pictures of it in process on my design wall.


The Snowball block was an easy choice because it is one that everyone could do with little problem, even new quilters. Based on the information we gathered about her tastes, we asked for blocks with bold floral snowballs and pastel corners.   We received 37 blocks from the members and I made 5 more to make the 42 needed to make a good-sized lap quilt.  Several ladies contributed fabrics & batting to complete the quilt.  

A simply-pieced inner border added a nice touch, and then a piano key border out of more florals.  I think it turned out rather nice, don’t you?  We’re hoping she will like it.  It has gone to the quilter and then another lady offered to bind it, and both donated their services.  We have such wonderful people in our Guild, always ready to lend a hand, a skill, fabric – whatever is needed whenever the need arises!

I’ve made great progress with my little Promises and Borders stitchery from Jenny of Elefantz.  I’m almost done with Block #1 - just need to finish the little yellow flower centers.  However, I am seriously considering changing the bird to a little darker blue.  He seems to disappear, and I would really like for him to be the focal point of the piece.  What do you think?  I have a variegated floss that is a darker blue running into a purply-blue that I am thinking might look better?  Decisions, decisions….. I am having such fun with this project!!!


I’ve already traced off the pattern for Block #2 and am excited about started it soon!  Below is a picture of Jenny's completed block.


SoScrappy has declared the Rainbow Challenge color for February to be Green, so I will be adding a couple of green pineapples to go along with these two small red ones.  


In case you did not see my earlier post, these blocks finish at only 3.5 inches - so cute!!! I am truly using only scraps for these, digging the colored fabrics out of my crumb box, and even the black is left over from a previous project, so I'm happy to be using it up.  I think I will add aqua and pink to the colors if they are not included in the challenge – we will have to wait and see!

There are a few other things percolating in my sewing room, but they haven’t yet made it to the design wall, so I’ll save them until a later post.

What’s on your design wall?  Go to Patchwork Times to see what others are designing!

Hugs & Blessings,
Teresa
=^..^=

9 comments:

  1. 3.5" pineapples? Wow! Will you make them in each color-of-the-month?
    I'm sure the church secretary will be delighted with the lovely flowery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work! I think your bird shows up okay, but it wouldn't take long to redo him if you really want too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt, I like all the floral prints! Your little pineapple blocks are sooooo beautiful and tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you took the pastel triangles into the dark border of the quilt. Those little details make all the difference.
    Beautiful little stitchery block. The bird looks fine to me, but if it is always going to bother you, redo it now before it is too late!
    Can't wait to see the next little pineapples. They are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I love everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is just wonderful, I know she will just love it...

    Love your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa! Thanks for the follow ... I happily did the same! If you're from the Music City, we are that far away -- about an hour and a half up I65! Your pineapple blocks look terrific as do your Blessing and Borders blocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have definitely had a productive week. Look at all that lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Teresa :) Those tiny pineapples are adorable! Nice to see you at BOMs Away - and fun since Barbara is also working on the Promises and Borders. Your stitchery looks lovely - the variegated sides are really nice. The little bird is already sweet, but if you want him to stand out more I bet the other thread you're talking about will do the trick. It looks like it's not too terribly hard to redo - especially if it's something that will nag at you? (which is not to say that I think anything is wrong the cute little guy to start with) ;D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...